Saturday, May 23, 2009

Budget Wine Snob: Coming to Grips With My Prejudice

Hi, my name is Natalie and I'm a wine snob.

I came face to face with my prejudice on Mother's Day when I took my mom to brunch at Whole Foods.

After enjoying some delicious quiche, maple bacon and a little oj, we decided to take a field trip throug the store--my mom had never been there before.

When we entered the wine section I was surprised to see a variety of featured wines for under $10! I flitted from one display to the next reading the delightful descriptions (so quirky they're worth the trip alone) and investigating the labels.

Naturally, we left the store with a basket full of new budget wines to try. Two that I highly recommend are Mirth 2007 Chardonnay and Our Daily Red Vintage 2007 California Red Wine.

Mirth
Mr. T and I have a favorite spot by the creek under the willow tree where we like to splash in the water, play fetch in the grass or lay on our quilt and read on sunny days. If those times could be bottled, I think it would taste just like this wine. The thing I like most about Mirth is that, unlike many chardonnays, it's not oaky so you get to taste the fresh, frolicing flavor of the fruit.

Our Daily Red
I've never eaten a lily before (are they edible?), but Our Daily Red is similar to what I'd expect a lily might taste like: light, fruity, velvety and spicy. Plus, it's good for you and the environment because it's organic and has no detectable sulfites. (Although the issue of sulfites in wine is one that is under debate according to Kenton Erwin at Kenton Wines.)

The Future of Swirl, Sniff, Sip and Savor
If you've visited this blog before, you probably already know that my passion is to find good wines for under $10 to share with you. Until recently, I thought this could only be accomplished at discount grocers and gas stations, but I was wrong. From now on I'm going to try to have an open mind when it comes to hunting for delectable wines within my budget and to boldly go into high end grocers, wine shops and wineries to see what other fiscally friendly vintages I can find for us to swirl, sniff, sip and savor.

No comments:

Post a Comment