Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Wine Flavored Gum?


I stopped by the gas station on my way home from a wine tasting on Saturday to pick up some gum and a new flavor from Orbit caught my eye: Sangria Fresca. Wine flavored gum? I had to try it.

I'm chewing a piece now and I think I'm picking up tropical fruit and a hint of mint. No red wine though.

Note: Apparently this is just a new-to-me flavor. I came across several blog posts about it from May 2008. I have a feeling this pack has been in the racks at the AM/PM for that long because I've only been chewing this piece for one song and my jaw is already starting to hurt.

However, this experience reminded me that it's sangria season, and if you're in the mood for the real thing, you have a few options:

1) Find a wine shop or restaurant that makes it.
I believe Sarrah Torres from Winestock in Oregon City makes a fresh batches during the summer.

2) Pick up a prepackaged version at the store.
Whole Foods is advertising an all natural red wine version for $6.99!

3) If you're feeling especially adventurous you can make your own.
From what I can tell, there are no real rules to making a good sangria, but here are the basic ingredients:

Red or White wine
Fruit (oranges, peaches, nectarines, etc.)
Sugar (if needed)

Feel free to experiment, just make sure that you have someone fabulous to enjoy it with when you decide to partake. Yes, your own company counts in a pinch!

No comments:

Post a Comment